Refractive Surgery Sites
The amount of information on LASIK and LASEK is truly staggering and much of is is good quality. You can Google for LASIK and I have put in a few below, in no particular order or merit. Some have extensive links pages of their own. A lot of the information comes from the States. If you got this far on your own then I am sure that you can find more than enough information to keep you happy!
- Visualase - the clinic where I do most of my refractive surgery.
- Lasik Institute - this is a very comprehensive American site on Lasik. It is funded by an educational grant from Summit Inc., one of the laser manufacturers, but seems to be independent of them. There is a particularly interesting discussion you can find via their links page between two groups of surgeons on the pros and cons of simultaneous bilateral lasik (the general norm in the USA)
- "Wikipedia" - Quite a nice entry and has a lot of links at the bottom of the page
- British Society for Refractive Surgery - Professional body of Ophthalmologists and Optometrists in the UK. Good article on the state of refractive surgery in 2002
- FDA - USA Food and Drug Administration site on LASIK - official government site
- Eye Surgery Education Council - an initiative established by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS), to which I belong, Like all American sources there is more about LASIK than LASEK, although there is a swing back to surface ablation in the USA in recent times.
- All About Vision - USA commercial site
- The Royal College of Ophthalmology has a section for patients on laser refractive eye surgery. This is excellent and unbiased, and has just been updated (April 2003)
- www.lasik-eyes.co.uk - This is a UK site collecting various patients' experiences at different clinics.